Voivod

Ted Jackson jr. EL 84 TOJACKSO at HAWK.SYR.EDU
Thu Oct 31 07:10:21 EST 1996

Dan sez:

> Does anyone else here listen to Voivod?  They're a Canadian band, most
> of their lyrics revolve around science fiction themes--sometimes
> derivative, sometimes pretty clever.  They started out as basically a
> thrashmetal/deathmetal/speedmetal band, but increasingly used jazz
> chords and got into a heavy Pink Floyd influence (including covers of
> Astronomy Domine and The Nile Song).  Best is probably Angel Rat, with
> Nothingface and The Outer Limits as close seconds.  Their latest, with
> changed lineup, Negatron, is more their original sound, but the CD has
> cool multimedia animation on it.
>         Let me know,
>         Dan Clore

Dan,
I haven't heard them in a while, but the first time I heard them they
blew my mind.  I was in Canada and watching sort of a French-speaking
MTV-type show from Montreal, Voivod's hometown, I believe.  There was
a special on about them.  I never did pick up any of their discs,
though.  Does the new one feature their orig. gtr. player?  Can't
think of his name just now, but I remember he kicked ass...
theo