the bass ritual

Paul Mather paul at CSGRAD.CS.VT.EDU
Mon Sep 2 17:25:37 EDT 1996

Carl protests:

> > And what about the SR2 version of Time We Left, don't you think that gives
> > Doremi's a run for the money?
>
>         Not fair!  I haven't got the _SR2_ version with me to listen to
> again  (I've got the weird German CD of that anyway :)

Fair or not, I think the _SR2_ version dusts the floor with all the
others.  IMHO. :-)

>         Still, I wish they had edited the SR2 material back into the
> _SR_ remaster.  That would have been entirely worthwhile.  Ah well.

Hear, hear!  But I do recall someone on this list (Bernhard, perhaps)
saying the _SR2_ material is from different gigs, so I guess it's "okay"
(in a certain metaphysical sense) to omit them from the remastered CD.
(I'd still have preferred them to use the _SR2_ "Time We Left" though!)

>         But certianly the _SR_ (as opposed to _SR2_) version of "TWL"
> is fairly unremarkable in comparsion to the amazing workout it gets
> on _Doremi_.

No kidding.  I got a new, deeper appreciation of that track after
listening to my _Doremi_ remaster!  (That, and "Brainstorm", which never
truly grabbed me before, but which opens up newer intricacies on the
remastered CD.)  In fact, after listening to the _Doremi_ remaster, I'd
say I got a much better liking for the album.  It was like meeting an old
friend you'd always taken for granted all these years, but never knew
what a talented person they were all this time.

Cheers,

Paul.

obCD: Frank Zappa, _YCDTOSA 2_

e-mail: paul at csgrad.cs.vt.edu                    A stranger in a strange land.