OFF: Ob

Peter Sondergeld p.sondergeld at QUT.EDU.AU
Thu Sep 5 04:13:23 EDT 1996

It seems that our use of Ob notes on boc-l is round the wrong way, at least
as I understand it. I was looking over an Internet dictionary and stumbled
onto the entry for Ob which says:
<quote>
Ob- A prefix for an obligatory addendum to an off-topic Usenet or list post.
Say you get into a political debate in the rec.music.dylan newsgroup. To
keep your post technically relevant to the group, you might add:

ObDylan: Ah, but I was so much older then/I'm younger than that now.

See also Obligatory * content.
<endquote>

"Obligatory * content" says pretty much the same thing. The * is meant to be
replaced with the subject of the group.
So, there you go. And no, I'm not suggesting we all change our ways on this. :)
Pete.

ObLP:"Bad Luck Streak in Dancing School" - Warren Zevon

Peter Sondergeld
p.sondergeld at qut.edu.au

"And sometimes I say things I shouldn't,
 Like..."                                  - Warren Zevon