HW: Calvert - where to go from here?

Christian Mumford mumford at EUNET.NO
Thu Sep 5 05:12:20 EDT 1996

Stephen Swann wrote:

> It appears that I've at long last "discovered" Bob Calvert...
>
> I finally bought "Captain Lockheed and the Starfighters", and it's
> been in my CD player constantly for the past 2 weeks.  I particularly
> like such lesser known pieces as "Hero With A Wing" (my favorite song
> on the album), and "Catch a Falling Starfighter".  I also like his
> more thoughtful/introspective versions of the "rock" numbers that
> Hawkwind often covers.
>
> So, with that in mind... what to get next?  _Lucky Leif and the
> Longships_ seems like the obvious choice - is it comparable
> stylistically?  And knowing that this is always a loaded question on
> BOC-L... is it as good?  :-)

It's kinda different, really. Brian Eno produced it and it sounds that
way. It's not as 'heavy' as Lockheed is in places. There's even some
kool surf-music on it! But, it's a good album, and it doesen't have all
the talking bits (which, at least I find somewhat embarrasing & skip).
Moorcock plays banjo on it if I remember right, and there's some odd
psychedelic chanting-pieces inbetween songs here and there.

Christian