HW: was OFF: Delerium Records

Mike Wright M.S.Wright at READING.AC.UK
Thu Sep 5 13:28:59 EDT 1996

Ages ago (Aug 5) Martyn Lawrence martynl at FUJITSU.COM.AU pointed us in the
direction of the delerium web page, and I have got around to reading it,
it inhabits cyberspace at co-ordinates

        http://www.delerium.co.uk

and I have read the article about Amon Duul II, and there are 2
Hawkwind related bits which I extract for our interest

Mike w

------------begin extracts-----------

From:
 Amon Dl II - Yeti Talks to Yogi        By Andy Whittaker.

<snip>
That was the end of Amon Duul II until the 1989 gigs, although the name
was kept alive by the British 'Amon Duul' LP's, of which more will be said
later. In 1986 posters for the Hawkwind tour promised 'special guests Amon
Duul III', but this was no more than a whim of the promoter, and no
such band appeared. Chris had never heard anything about it!

<snip to an interview with John Weinzierl>

FB:- You then made the LP's with Dave Anderson (the Demi-Monde releases).

JW:- Hmmm. Hawk Meets Penguin was actually based on old Amon Dl II tapes.
We improvised around them. Yes, I thought it was OK to do that, but no
other original Amon Duul members play on the Demi - Monde records.

FB:- It's a very good album.

JW:- Yes it is. I'm not keen on Men Machines though, and those other two
LP's shouldn't have been released, they aren't even finished.

Hawk consists of two fairly laid back improvisations, and shouldn't
disappoint anyone into the Amon Duul vibe. Men Machines is a more
conventional record, although John turns in a thundering
"Burundi Drummers' Nightmare". The release of Die Lsung and Fool Moon, has
caused a massive row between Dave and John. Dave declares them to be
finished products, but the conflict is likely to keep him out of any
forthcoming Amon Dl II activity, unfortunately.

JW:- We were going to record Bob Calvert and Chris together. You should
have seen those two in the studio - real freaks. I don't mean that in any
stupid way - It was magical. Bob shouldn't have died, he was one of the
brothers. So I was going to play at his memorial concert. I had it
planned, to be carried on to the stage by a couple of girls waving peace
signs; "Hello my friends, good to see you all again". I was working on the
show, but talk got around to doing an Amon Duul gig. I didn't
think it would work, so I planned my show, but Chris, Renate, and Peter
amazed me by being there. So with some friends we did "Archangels
Thunderbird", "Eye - Shaking King", "Metropolis" and "Flower Of The
Orient". After that we did the Italian gig with Lothar and Falk. On the
way the old Amon Dl tensions started to appear, but that's part of the
dynamic of the group, we argue a lot.

<snip>