HW: Calvert - where to go from here?

Johan Edlundh hawkjoe at EKA.ERICSSON.SE
Thu Sep 5 23:49:09 EDT 1996

At 14:53 1996-09-04 -0400, you wrote:
>It appears that I've at long last "discovered" Bob Calvert...
>
>I finally bought "Captain Lockheed and the Starfighters", and it's
>been in my CD player constantly for the past 2 weeks.  I particularly
>like such lesser known pieces as "Hero With A Wing" (my favorite song
>on the album), and "Catch a Falling Starfighter".  I also like his
>more thoughtful/introspective versions of the "rock" numbers that
>Hawkwind often covers.
>
>So, with that in mind... what to get next?  _Lucky Leif and the
>Longships_ seems like the obvious choice - is it comparable
>stylistically? And knowing that this is always a loaded question on
>BOC-L... is it as good?  :-)

it's not as heavy as the C:n Lockheed, but without compare the second best
Calvert effort.

another decent album is the _Live at Queen Elizabeth Hall_ with catches
Calvert in a *very* good mood - you've got 'Aerospaceage Inferno' on this one.

>Also, what kind of material is on Freq (aren't there 2 versions of
>this)?  And is _Tales from the Atomhenge_ worth getting?

in this stage of Calvert Exploring I think you can wait with _Freq_ and
_Test Tube Conceived_ which I may describe as 'computer pop' when I'm in
*bad* mood.

_Atom Henge_ is a compilation that covers the Charisma Years with a few
Charisma 7" outtakes (two instrumentals and the rocker "Back on the
Streets"). Get it if you don't have ASAM, QS&C, 25Yrs On and/or PXR5 - get
it anyway if you're a rich man.

>Thanks for any info.
>
>Steve
>swann at panix.com