HW:Hawkwind Album and song titles

Johan Edlundh hawkjoe at EKA.ERICSSON.SE
Thu Sep 12 03:09:38 EDT 1996

At 23:42 1996-09-11 -0700, you wrote:
>Hi!  I hope some of you knowledgable Hawkwind fans out there can help
>me.  So that I could see what HW sounded like, a friend dubbed me a tape
>that someone had given to her.  Unfortunately, she didn't had neither
>the album title nor song titles for it.  I don't even know if it was an
>actual album, or if someone made a compilation of songs for her.
>Anyway, I'll list some of the song lyrics (that I could understand), and
>maybe someone will know the album/song titles.
>
>One of the songs with vocals had the following lyrics: "I've got this
>fascination....(repeated several times)...LEVITATION!"  Another had:
>"Who's gonna win the war, now...who's gonna win the war?"

both is from _Levitation_ from 1980, containing som very good drumming from long ;0) time hw member Ginger Baker.

tracklist is:
Levitation
Motorway City
Psychosis        (spacey sounds)
World of Tiers   (rocky instrumental)
Prelude          (short instr. intro to the following)
Who's Gonna Win the War
Space Chase      (rocky instrumental)
The Fifth Second of Forever (first some gently picked guitar notes, then rock with lyrics, then back to the gently instrumental)
Dust of Time

if she'd choosen this album for your first hw impression, she did a *very* good choice.

>The very first song (and the one I hope I can get the title for, because
>I really like it, and it keeps running through my head), had the
>following lyrics:
>
>        I crept up on my daybed,
>        and looked down on my town.
>        I saw a shrinking violet,
>        and crushed it into the ground.
>        And I'm never gonna tell you why.
>
>        I got my face in the furnace <?>,
>        I got my feet in the <freeze?>,
>        I got drowned in a bowl of cereal,
>        And I have to ask you to leave.
>        And I'm never gonna tell you why.
>
>        <some stuff I can't understand>
>        ...and it sounds like a <diesel hog?> that just won't go.
>        <more stuff>
>        ...and I'm standing on the edge of Mars...
>
>        <more stuff>
>
>        I'll see you around, baby <repeated several times>
>
>I'd really appreciate it if someone could tell me the name of that
>song.  Thanks in advance!   :D    -- Mike

sorry - I cannot recall this lyrics - is it is the same style as Levitation and Who's Gonna Win..?

\\joe