HW: Abducted !

Dave Berry daveb at HARLEQUIN.CO.UK
Mon Sep 23 11:04:00 EDT 1996

> > The sleeve notes for "abducted" give the credits to "Brock/Tree" but to me
> > those vocals sound a lot like Calvert.  Is Ron Tree really responsible for
> > those vocals ?
>
>         Indeed he is.  Amazing is it not.  He manages a fair Calvert
> impression at those times when he's not screwing something up horribly,
> (though in truth, we must lay a certain amount of blame on the whole
> band for travesties like "Beam Me Up" ;)

Far from being a travesty, that track is a highlight of the album for me.
Musically and vocally, it's one of the most varied and interesting tracks
on the album.  I was disappointed that they didn't play it live; I would
have liked to bounce around to: "I'm... being... beamed... UP!".

Someone wrote that the lyrics were every adolescent's dream.  But what
makes being "beamed up" any less sensible that being "abducted"?  Are
the lyrics to "Sputnik Stan" -- or even "Silver Machine" or "Master Of
The Universe" -- that mature and sensible?  I take them all with a pinch
of salt, and enjoy them immensely!

Dave.
--
Harlequin Ltd., Technology Transfer Centre, King's Buildings,
Edinburgh, EH9 3JL, UK.