HW: First HW member in R'n'R HoF

Keith A Henderson khenders at MAGNUS.ACS.OHIO-STATE.EDU
Mon Sep 23 12:59:28 EDT 1996

Hi Folks....

I was watching the local news last night here in Columbus, and they had a short
public interest story about two new exhibits at the Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame
in Cleveland, OH.  One was dedicated to Heavy Metal, and when they went to the
pre-taped video portion of the segment, the first thing I saw was a
Rickenbacker bass with gothic lettering along the top.  I immediately
recognized it as being the Lemster's, and in fact they panned back and there
was a dummy or wax replica of Lemmy holding said bass.  I couldn't see too
well, but the details of his face looked a bit funny, esp. his 'handlebar'
beard & moustache...I'd bet the Bass Assassin No. 1 himself would've laughed at
the absurdity of it all.

I tell you all this just for general interest....personally, I find the entire
concept of a Hall of Fame for rock music more than a little pathetic.  Just
like the Grammy awards (funny that Motorhead was once nominated, for 1916 I
think).  I would never waste the time, money, and effort to visit the place
even though it's right up the road in my old hometown.  Not until Dave Brock is
voted in, at least.  :)

I should note that even though they have these exhibits (on things like Heavy
Metal), it doesn't mean any of these artists will ever officially 'get in' to
the HoF.  Black Sabbath has been eligible for two years now, and apparently
they're not getting in.  Deep Purple I don't think is in either.  I actually
hope it stays that way...

Keith H. (FAA)

Before I claim that Lemmy is *really* the first HW member to appear in the
R'n'R HoF, maybe I should ask if Ginger Baker is in there as a member of Cream.