OFF: Fu Manchu

Chris Baxley Chris_Baxley at SONYMUSIC.COM
Wed Sep 25 12:36:46 EDT 1996

  Christian Mumford wrote:
  > BTW, has anybody heard of the band Sleep? Apparantly they are a
  > MM-esqe/heavily infuenced by Black Sabbath type band on the Earache
  > label. Curious to know what they sound like (there was a reference to
  > them in a Dave Wyndorf of Monster Magnet interview).

  When I saw Sleep a couple of years ago, they had  bass and guitar amps
  that looked like they were Orange,
  except they were Green (both in color and in name), with similar swirly
  logo and big knobs.
  These amps were huge (the bass cab was about 5' by 4') and louder than
  hell.
  I spoke to a guy in another band (Iommi Stubbs from Portland) who got the
  scoop on Green amps from Sleep,
  and was going to order one for himself.

  I bought their CD (on which was written "If anyone has any Orange
  equipment to sell, please contact Sleep")
  and T-shirt, with a glow-in-the-dark drawing of an astronaut smoking a
  bong on the Moon.
  Their music is loud and sludgy, with quasi-sci-fi lyrics, sort of a
  stoner version of the Melvins.
  Their show did have some excellent films of lunar missions, etc. as a
  backdrop.

  I believe Earache (Sony's metal label) has since dissolved, so I don't
  know what became of them.
  I think they were from N. California.

  Chris