HW: Mike Moorcock's singing (was: SA & CYM)

J Strobridge eset08 at TATTOO.ED.AC.UK
Thu Sep 26 02:56:04 EDT 1996

Le Monsieur writes:

> On Wed, 25 Sep 1996, Max Wilcox wrote:
> > On 23 Sep 96 at 0:49, Le Monsieur wrote:
> > > One thing for sure, though:  Mike Moorcock should *NEVER* be
> > > allowed to sing again, at least not like he 'sang' "Coded
> > > Languages".
> > You've obviously never heard "New Worlds Fair"...
>
> You are correct, sir.  But is that a good thing or a bad thing?

It's a sad thing if you've never heard "Rolling In The Ruins" aka
"Dude's Dream" - best track on the album IMO.  ('....and I didn't like
the way your shoulder peeled last night / and the bombs destroy the
houses and the bombs uproot the trees / and I saw my children carried
off on a strange bright breeze').

There is absolutely no other person who could possibly sing that song
and give it the depths of irony and humour that the track holds.
Amazing.

jill

J.D.Strobridge at ed.ac.uk                         eset08 at tattoo.ed.ac.uk
                                                ELIJSA at srv0.arts.ed.ac.uk