Possible Dave Brock/Richard connection

Ted Jackson jr. EL 84 TOJACKSO at HAWK.SYR.EDU
Thu Sep 26 19:12:25 EDT 1996

NOTE--
This appeared pn the Richard Thompson List.  Thought you all would
get a kick...
theo

I was looking over the BEAT THE RETREAT (the RT tribute album) CD
slipcase yesterday and came across a name I didn't expect to see at
all in the "thanks to" section (which is huge), that of Dave Brock.
If it's the Dave Brock I'm thinking of, he's the captain of the
starship Hawkwind, the grandfathers of the "space rock" movement (such
as it is), a band with more lineup changes than Fairport (if that's
possible), though unlike Simon Nicol, Brock's been in *every* version
of the Hawkwind.  So despite the fact that Brock and Thompson are
about as far apart musically as I can imagine (cerebral "folk-rock"
singer-songwriter vs. primitive, apocalyptic space-sludge with
cornball lyrics by people like Michael Moorcock (as well as the
genuinely talented and alas, departed, Robert Calvert)), why on earth
would BTR thank him?  I noticed that there are several other musicians
on the the "thanks to" list who DON'T appear on the album itself, so
perhaps these are people who wanted to contribute, or did and didn't
make the final cut, etc.  If so, which song could Dave Brock have
possibly done?  The mind reels.  "Madness of Love" might work as a
kind of outer space rave-up.

Maybe it's a different Dave Brock.

Any ideas?