Datura a mushroom? NOT!

Christian Mumford mumford at EUNET.NO
Fri Sep 27 07:14:17 EDT 1996

M Holmes wrote:

> William Stone writes:
>

> >   I stand corrected, sir.  I wonder what that shroom was that the kind
> > Norsmen imbibed...?
>
> Wasn't it Amanita Muscaria?

Yes it was. I heard that the Shamans used to eat it, and his urine would
be drunk by other members of the tribe because shrooms were hard to come
by in harsher climates (in Siberia in particular), so they basically
recycled the trip - there was probably some magical reason too. I also
understand the Norsemen used to feed it to goats and drink their urine
since they filtered out the poison in the system, leaving a nice warm
cuppa clean hallucinogenic goats-piss to party on. I don't know how true
this is, but I've read both acoounts from different sources. Norwegians
tend to dismiss the whole amanita-norsemen thing as exaggerated legend -
and attribute the mushroom use to a few shamans and psilocybin as
the shroom of choice rather than amanita.

Christian