Possible Dave Brock/Richard connection

Carl E. Anderson cea20 at CUS.CAM.AC.UK
Fri Sep 27 08:10:38 EDT 1996

Quoth Jill:
> M Holmes writes:
> > Ted Jackson jr. EL 84 writes:
> > > This appeared pn the Richard Thompson List.  Thought you all would
> > > get a kick...
> > > theo
> > > genuinely talented and alas, departed, Robert Calvert)), why on earth
> > > would BTR thank him?  I noticed that there are several other musicians
> > > Maybe it's a different Dave Brock.
> > > Any ideas?
>
> > Err, Dave Brock employed his son as drummer in Hawkwind?
>
> yep.   Danny Thompson.   Richard Thompson seems to have been rather
> proud of this accomplishment - the Hawkwind years must have made a
> strong impression on his son!
> So whatever happened to Danny Thompson?

        Ah, actually Richard Thompson is not the father of the Hawkwind
drummer, but Danny Thompson (Sr.) ex- of Pentangle, etc. is the father
of Danny Thompson (Jr.) of Hawkwind drumming fame.  Danny Thompson (Sr.)
is currently a bass player in the Richard Thompson tour band (saw him
at Cropredy back in August).  No idea what's become of the son these
days.
        Danny Thompson (Sr.) used to have a joke about is son which was
something like: "I hoped he'd become a musician, but instead he's a
drummer in Hawkwind!" ;)

Cheers,
Carl

Carl Edlund Anderson                           "So that's Terra.  Oohwee,
cea20 at cus.cam.ac.uk                             look out wenchlings, here
http://wjh-www.harvard.edu/~canders/hem.html    come the Hawklords."
Dept. of ASNAC, University of Cambridge            -Lord Lemmy (Hawkwind)