HW: Love in Space clip

Ron Jennings sprawl at STARLINX.COM
Fri Apr 4 17:17:17 EST 1997

> > as someone who tried to make a webpage of hawkwind samples, and decided
> > to hang it up, i understand star_rats completely.  a thirty second
sound
> > clip was 8Megs at 44 khz stereo 32 bits, and reducing it to 11 khz mono
> > 8 bits only got it down to about 500k. it also resulted in a clip that
> > sounded like it was playing inside an empty soupcan. (these were wavs)
>
> Unless it's a typo, 32 bits is overkill for digitised audio, since
samples
> on the CDs themselves are only 16-bit (sampled @ 44.1 KHz).

of course you are right. i should have verified my info before posting.
im new to this sound sample business, and was going from memory.

but the basic point was that you have to warp the sound files so badly to
make them any kind of friendly size,
that they're almost not worth hearing.  of course i'm saying this with
absolutely no knowledge of this compression
stuff.

now im going to go look for some of these compressuion utilities you
mention. maybe i can make that page fly yet.
(i wanted to do a page for hawkwind, but didn't want to mimic other's
pages, or waste it with the same old jazz in
different order. so i noticed very few people offered sound files for HW,
and got permission to do it. {of course they have to be
short, never a complete tune...})   ANY SUGGESTIONS?

> Yup.  Let's all raise a glass in honour of Claude Shannon... ;-)

pardon my ignorance, but who?  <ducks>

rj