OFF:Deep Heaven

Scott Heller (617) 724-7762 HELLERS at A1.MGH.HARVARD.EDU
Mon Apr 7 07:45:00 EDT 1997

          DEEP HEAVEN, 115 Kingston St, Chinatown (Boston) 4/5/97

               This was an amazing event in a loft in chinatown here in
          boston. The bands were:

          Saturnalia
          Abunai!
          Lockgroove Lullabye
          Juneau
          Primordial Undermind
          Cul De Sac
          Bardo Pond

               I recorded the complete sets of all these bands (except
          Saturnalia)  on my Sharp Minidisc MS-200-A unit with Core Sound
          Cartioid Microphones. All the recordings came out excellent!! MD
          is the way to go for recording live music!! I have recorded bands
          for 16 years on analog cassettes, but this is so much of an
          improvement, even better than DAT (not for technical reasons, but
          for the easy of recording, the functional aspects of the MD and
          the sound quality).

               About the music, Saturnalia, transported me back to the
          commune in germany in 1969 where Amon Duul would play for endless
          hours. This band was great, unfortuantely, I only caught two
          songs of their set. Great stuff, a bands with drums, stand up
          bass, therimon, guitar, female vocals (or whispers and sounds, i
          should say), and a guy who played banjo or cello.

               Abunai are a great new band who are spacey (psych), folky
          and have a great guitar sound. The vocals are way out of tune,
          but who cares, cause the songs are so good. Hot new band!

               Lockgroove Lullaby are a very heavy driving type of
          psychedlic music. Almost a heavy punk feel and anger at times,
          but with great distorted guitars! Pretty intense stuff.....

               Juneau, are two guitars, drums and a guy who basically
          screams or yells.... They seem like total improve and you don't
          know where the song is going to go and neither do they, so they
          are real hit or miss. I did not care much for them last night but
          upon listening to the MD, it was not too bad. I think they are
          closets to bands like Marble Sheep or Fushishitsu from japan.

               Primordial Undermind were the most melodic of the bands, but
          still a very heavy dual guitar rhythm going. The lead singer also
          played a lot of lead guitar, but not the soloing type, just
          adding a melodic tone thru the tunes. Pretty interesting band.

               Cul de Sac I had been wanting to see for years, but they
          rarely ever play. Anyway, these guys are heavily into the Kraut
          rock style with synths, drums (great drummer), guitar and bass.
          The synth is very high in the mix and he uses mainly old
          electronic gear, and gets great sounds.. The guitar player

          impressed me a lot. A few of the songs had a great oriental/mid
          eastern feel to the tunes. They ranged from the wall of sound
          noise to beautiful songs  all with a psych feel.

               Bardo Pond, set up and only got to play for 8m before the
          show was shut down because of the sound curfew, which was a drag,
          as I had a feel that they were going to be great!!  Pretty
          incredible show!

          I feel quite lucky to have been one of the people who attended
          this special event!  Also, if you are thinking of recording
          concerts, mini disc  the way to go... no question...

          Scott