OFF: Bevis Frond and _The Producers_

Paul Mather paul at CSGRAD.CS.VT.EDU
Mon Apr 7 11:20:04 EDT 1997

Serendipity strikes.  I didn't realise until the weekend that yet another
line from a Bevis Frond song is in fact a soundbite from a film.  The line
in question is from "Can't Stop Lying" on _It Just Is_, and is kind of a
background line that runs "I was the lead tenor for the Albuquerque Opera
Company for the last three seasons..."  I was knocked sideways when,
whilst watching the Mel Brooks film _The Producers_ on TV recently, that
line assailed me out of the TV set.  It occurs whilst they are auditioning
the singing Hitlers, prior to the appearance of the actual guy who lands
the part.

Well I never.

Another Bevis Frond soundbite that has been a nagging choir of memory is
the one at the start of the _Sprawl_ album (the "...mind the doors, mind
the doors!" one).  I remember seeing the film it is from (about cannibals
inhabiting the London Underground), but cannot for the life of me remember
the film's title.  Can anyone help me out??

Cheers,

Paul.

obCD: Monster Magnet, _Superjudge_

e-mail: paul at csgrad.cs.vt.edu                    A stranger in a strange land.