BRAIN: tBS at Auburn

Rudich, Robert A Rudich at VOLPE2.DOT.GOV
Mon Apr 7 14:11:00 EDT 1997

I can't better Torgo's review, so I'll just add some random thoughts from my
skewed vantage point.   I will say that this is going to be one gig that
will be tough to top for many reasons.    One of these times they will get
all the lyrics right though.

My favorite run of the show had to be:
A kiss is a promise
666 (Devil got your mother)
Donkey show
I play the drums
Time will care of you
Ramblin' Rose
I've been running it through my head ever since.    "Kiss" is so lilting.
  "666" is great live, it could be a fine audience sing along song and is
just a hoot.   "Donkey Show" is more endearing each time I hear it (but this
was a 1st live) and I dig Pete's vocal style.  This version had an even more
sinuous guitar line than the BoH rendering that really smoked (found out who
does the Hee Haw too).   I hope to hear a lot more from Peter.    The manic
"I Play the Drums" has it's obvious strong points and the drummer has
potential for great things (you heard it from me 1st).    I blame Steve
Swann for my hankering to hear "Time will Take Care of You" live and finally
this itch got scratched well.    Really took care of the blisters from "I
Play the Drums" too.    As a longtime fan of MC5 (my very 1st gig), these
mofos can kick out the jams with Sonic and the boys anytime.

One of the undeservedly less noticed members of the band really struck me
this night.   If you ever get a chance, check out the mighty Asscaster that
Peter Bohovesky plays up close and get its story.  An absolute riot!   Plus,
he does a dead on imitation of Fred What's his Name of the B-52's.   He
sneaks it in during songs with impeccable timing.   Peter reminds me of Todd
Rundgren both physically and musically, and Todd is God.    His vocals
really add a lot, even though he sings softly and swings a big axe, among
other things.   He needs an amp that goes to 11 like bad Billy Hilfiger's.

As with the previous times I've seen tBS, they hit me so much as a live
band.   Even if you own all the CDs, you haven't heard tBS until it is live.
 Their gigs rock something wicked, but at the same time are just so much
fun.   Afterwards the CDs take on a new life.  Deb's patter between songs
alone is worth catching.   Many bands may grimace or pose while playing, tBS
just grin and it is infectious.    I hope the people on the left coast take
advantage of the chance to see them on their tour out there soon.

Mailing list members, watch for the next Cellsum catalog soon.  Al was
decidedly cryptic, but there is something brewing.   Might be a good time to
snag the last of the BoH caps with the suede bill and denim old style
baseball top.  (The preceding line was brought to you by Cellsum Records)

Rudy