Todd is God and the Global mind

Doug Bates Doug.Bates at TUCCSTER.TUCC.UAB.EDU
Tue Apr 8 10:04:15 EDT 1997

>   Peter reminds me
> >of Todd
> >Rundgren both physically and musically, and Todd is God.    His
> vocals
> >really add a lot, even though he sings softly and swings a big axe,
> >among
> >other things.   He needs an amp that goes to 11 like bad Billy
> >Hilfiger's.
> Todd really is God...I see him as being one of the more underrated
> guitarists ever.  The first Utopia album is amazing

Yes, with a guitar in his hand, but like another favorite son of ours
he the likes to doodle with a snyth. He produced some damn good
records for others too. The double album _Todd_ one of my favs, with
the song Number One lowest Denominator just sends me off into space...
The only time I saw Utopia he climbed to the top of a 20 foot pyramid
made
of metal bars while playing his guitar. The other time he was solo, it
was in
the mid 70's and one of my first concerts, and most of the show he sat
on
a stool with a microphone and sang accompanied by tapes, sequenced
drums and synths. People we're walking out after about 45 minutes of
this.
In retrospect, it seems he was getting us ready for music of the 90's.
(hmm,
lets see here push the red and green buttons and out comes Space is
their
Palestine :-)

OBidea: HW can represent so many things to a fan, lets create a global
mind by playing the same song on a given date and time. Without going
codex crazy, what song should it be? Something everyone has for sure,
Paradox, Levitation or Psy Power perhaps. Imagine all the time zones
involved, reflecting on the way of the Hawk. A contiousness reaching out
to space, worrying about the future, machines, government and when HW
might play at venue close by. Or where I can get enough money to buy all
the CDs coming out this year.

OBcd: This is Hawkwind do not panic

Doug Bates
Systems Analyst  @  (TUCC)
Univ. of Alabama at Birmingham
Voice: (205) 934-9087   Fax: (205) 975-7129
Mailto:dbates at uab.edu