The Brain Surgeons: Live at Spirits Tavern

Tue Apr 8 11:15:46 EDT 1997

Many thanks to Torgo and Rudy for their great reviews of the show.  I'd
like to forward these on to Tania Ruiz, with your permissions, for
possible inclusion on the official tBS website (and if she doesn't
want 'em, I'll be glad to put them up on my up-an-coming tBS web page,
which I'm tentatively titling, "The Brain Surgeons Post-Op" - I'm
hoping to provide something that will be more of a supplement to the
main site - sort of like, "if this wasn't enough for ya, check out
this").

"Ass-caster?"  I'm still waiting to hear the story on the "bow-hog"...
Pete, I'm finding out, is one sick f***er - and I LIKE it!

35 songs?  Boy, I'd really like them to take THAT show to Boston (hint
hint Al - yes, I KNOW I'm annoying...) - well, maybe one of these days
I can convince my family (although not with a wife who's 8 months
pregnant) to take a little vacation in New York...

Comments on the sets:

Gun
Medusa
St. Vitus dance
Date with a guitar
Astronomy
Laura's plastic swords
Gimme nothin'
My civilization
Tender was the night
Dominance and Submission
The Red and The Black

With the exception of "Astronomy" (I assume Al sang this?), this is pretty
close to a shortened version of their setlist from last November's gig
at the Rodeo Bar.

I'm on fire
Soul jive
Baby ice dog
Hansel & Gretel
Locked up
A kiss is a promise
666 (Devil got your mother)
Donkey show
I play the drums
Time will care of you
Ramblin' Rose

Interesting setlist - yes, the hornless "Soul Jive" takes on quite a
different character live.  Hope to someday hear "Hansel & Gretel",
"Devil Got your Mother", and "Donkey Show" live - and it's about time
"Ramblin' Rose" made it back to the set!  On *Trepanation*, it just
sounds like so much FUN.

Stones in my passway
The most romantic place in the world
Kiss tomorrow goodbye
Language of love
Sally
Death valley nights
The Brain from Terra Incognita
Overture
I am the one you warned me of
Career of evil
Name your monster
Cities on flame

Tasty.  I had the privilege of seeing tBS in late '94 (before *Trepanation*
was recorded), so I've seen a few of these *Eponymous* treasures live
(not all - never heard "Brain from Terra Incognita" or "Devil Got Your
Mother").  Don't you just have an even better appreciation for "Death
Valley Nights" after seeing tBS do it live?  I know that was true for
me.  "I Am the One..." has probably consistently been my favorite
Imaginos track over the years, and I'd love to see that one.  And what
BOC fan can argue with closing the set with "Cities on Flame" - did they
do the "Night of the 1,000 Guitars" bit at the end (with tBS version of
"the 5 Guitars")?  Speaking of new appreciation of BOC songs, Deb's
"You're MINE for the taking..." on "Career of Evil" gives me chills
every time I hear it.

>Operation luv

Something tells me the band was planning an encore if they hadn't
already played this tune...

>Billy Hilfiger offered up an
impromptu performance of BOC's "Last days of May", with the audience
singing along with him.

Very interesting - care to elaborate?  Was it just Billy up there playing?
Did anyone else sing, or just the crowd?

>I certainly wasn't disappointed. Christ, how could I be?

Certainly not . . . and you can refer to me as "John" ;-)

John