The Wheel

Ted Jackson jr. EL84 tojackso at LIBRARY.SYR.EDU
Wed Apr 9 11:24:45 EDT 1997

>> From:          John A Swartz <jswartz at MBUNIX.MITRE.ORG>

> Theo notes:
>
> >How 'bout Buck?  Maybe Al and Sandy And Meltzer wrote a lot of
> lyrics, but BD wrote all those killer riffs [or most of them
> anyway]...
>
> Well, no offense meant to Buck -- I like many of his contributions.  My
> point was that Al and Joe were the most prolific song-writers -- and
> BTW, I believe that Al wrote many of BOC's killer riffs (not trying to
> debate as to who wrote more).  Also, Buck has written a lot of material
> that is more pop-oriented and less in the BOC vein (again, I think he's
> written some great stuff, don't get me wrong).  But, perhaps when it
> comes to crafting words and lyrics into a song, BOC's current line-up
> is not as prolific without the Bouchards.
>
> John

The current live act is the Buck show.  And the new tunes are BD
compositions.  What left BOC with Al's departure [and to a lesser
extent Joe's] is the macabre song ideas, and the abandonment, the
experimentation.  BD's a lot more predictable, though still great.
Don't forget that BOC also lost two really good singers too.  And
what with EB's 'problems' BOC is now a one-singer band where there
used to be four...