Brain: Auburn Gig

Torgo torgo at NORWICH.NET
Wed Apr 9 15:35:58 EDT 1997

John S said:

>>Billy Hilfiger offered up an
>impromptu performance of BOC's "Last days of May", with the audience
>singing along with him.
>
>Very interesting - care to elaborate?  Was it just Billy up there playing?
>Did anyone else sing, or just the crowd?

It was a cool unplanned moment. The band had just wrapped up its 35th song,
so I imagine they were pretty hosed. The crowd would not let them leave. A
woman in hospital scrubs started up a chant of "one more song" and we all
wanted more (I could have sat there until they did the entire collection).
Al had already left his seat and the band was saying their goodbyes. Billy
just started playing and singing (pretty good voice I might add) "Last
Days" and the crowd seemed to know the words (even the locals) and we all
joined in. He did just the first verse, but it was a cool moment for sure.

> And what
>BOC fan can argue with closing the set with "Cities on Flame" - did they
>do the "Night of the 1,000 Guitars" bit at the end (with tBS version of
>"the 5 Guitars")?

AL sang one verse in English and the next in Spanish, which was cool. They
did elaborate on the original song a bit, but not too much of 1,000 guitars
made it into this version. Rocked though.

As for the review John, it is public domain. Take it, use it, cut it, paste
it, mock it, whatever. I sent a copy to Al already, and I was kinda hoping
it WOULD find its way onto the web site. Take it and run my man.

Also, its funny what live shows do to me. I like all of BoH but the one
song that always thrilled me the least was "operation Luv". Its a smoker,
sure, but I never fully got my teeth into it. Ever since I heard it
saturday live, I can't get it out of my head, and the volume has been
creeping towards the 11 mark when I play it. :^D

One other show note, Peter opened my BoH sleeve that I was having him sign
and asked me WHO his inside picture looked like. I replied (for a bit of
fun) that it looked to me like Nigel Tufnel, which he chuckled at. He says
it looks too much like Eddie Money. Gotta agree with him. Peter has a very
wonky sense of humor, and he had me cracking up a few times. Cool bunch the
Surgeons, every one of them.

I'm outta here...

Torgo has left the Building...........
torgo at norwich.net
"Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!!!
 Amongst our weaponry are such diverse elements as fear, surpirse,
 ruthless efficiency, and an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope,
 and nice red uniforms."