OFF : High Fidelity

Jon Browne jon at COMICS.DEMON.CO.UK
Thu Apr 10 05:41:44 EDT 1997

In message <9704092302.aa02743 at uk.ac.ed.tattoo>, J Strobridge
<eset08 at TATTOO.ED.AC.UK> writes
>ok - you can all go back to reading 'High Fidelity' now  8-)
>
>jill

Read it a couple of months ago. Can't say I recommend it. I found it a
bit depressing really, and I disliked the attitude that
collectors/enthusiasts are that immersed in records/comics/
trains/whatever because of an inability to function on a normal social
level. I actually think it's a bit sad that no-one goes trainspotting
anymore because of the social stigma attached to it. Enthusiasts in a
very real way catalog and preserve our culture for the future and I
honestly think it's pretty disgusting the way innocent passions are
derided. Not that "High Fidelity" is *that* down on collectors, I'm
digressing a bit, but it's not entirely innocent of that either and it's
hardly a celebration of the joys of finding Sun or BlueBeat originals
but rather it's saying that if you find *that* much pleasure in (in this
case) records rather than OTHER PEOPLE then there's something wrong with
you. A position I don't agree with. Sorry. BTW I have a lovely wife and
two kids, an annoyingly full life and make no apologies for not going
out much anymore. <grin>
--
Jon Browne