The Wheel/Embarrassed

BREVARD Adrian R. abrevard at SHL.COM
Thu Apr 10 09:10:13 EDT 1997

>> Does anyone else find it as disheartening as I that the band can only
>> scrape together ten songs after this many years?
>
>JS>"Well, their two most prolific songwriters are gone.  To 3OC's credit
>though, many have been impressed with the songs that they have managed to
scrape together.  Now, if they can just release them . . ."

Agreed.  Always liked Harvest Moon, See You in Black.  Now,Live 4 Me is
classic Buck and X-rays Eyes sounded crunchy when I heard it.  In the
end does it matter if its 10 songs or 15?  As long as they are quality
>productions I don't think I'll care much.
>

>Theo notes:
>
>>How 'bout Buck?  Maybe Al and Sandy And Meltzer wrote a lot of
>lyrics, but BD wrote all those killer riffs [or most of them
>anyway]...
>
JS>"Well, no offense meant to Buck -- I like many of his contributions.
>My point was that Al and Joe were the most prolific song-writers -- and
>BTW, I believe that Al wrote many of BOC's killer riffs (not trying to
>debate as to who wrote more).  Also, Buck has written a lot of material
>that is more pop-oriented and less in the BOC vein (again, I think he's
>written some great stuff, don't get me wrong).  But, perhaps when it
>comes to crafting words and lyrics into a song, BOC's current line-up
is not as prolific without the Bouchards."

That point is a given JS.   The team effort left when the brothers left.
 I wonder if Danny had a hand in crafting or perhaps finisihing the
songs.  Don't know much about Danny before joining BOC but he seems to
be a pretty complete player.  Not a bad singer either when they let him
>near a mike.
>

>>Thats how professionals handle these situations.  Its Syracuse's loss.
>>Maybe a less experienced band does what you describe but I can't
>>imagine a veteran act doing this.  Do you get paid if you don't play?
>
>From:    Ian R Fines >"Veteran band or not, my band is paid more when there
>are more people. This is because we usually get a cut from the cover charge.
>So, to put it bluntly, my band wouldn't play in front of five people, because
>we'd make about a dollar."

Sounds like a tough way to make a living. I imagine name bands like BOC
get a guarunteed minimumsto perform.  In that case you either play the
gig or don't get paid.

L8er

lil' ab

"Subjugating the enemy's army without fighting is the true pinnacle of
excellence.  Thus the highest realization of warfare is to attack the
enemy's plans."

The Art of War - Sun Tzu