Taping Policies

Chris Baker Nebosuke at AOL.COM
Fri Apr 11 01:38:04 EDT 1997

In the "Mirrors" press conference (which you can find on tape!) the band
fielded that question and the general thrust was that they couldn't care
less.  Tapers being discreet at BOC shows is probably more of a
venue-oriented caution.  To use a local example, Slim's in S.F. has a
no-taping, no camera policy, which from their point of view is probably
reasonable since they don't have to change the policy with each band that
passes through.  But can you really imagine somebody from the BOC crew trying
to stop a taper?

B.O.C. has never cared about cameras either, as long as there is no flash.
 I've brought in a camera to Slim's maybe 3 times, got it confiscated at the
door once several years back.  After I was in I approached a guy I had seen
at all of the area shows, loaded with badges, passes etc.  I assumed he was
the road manager.  Asked him if would intervene to get the camera in, five
minutes later he was back with some honcho who okayed it with the muscle at
the door.  I found out later the guy was Che...

And for all the trash talked about Steve Schenck here--which might all be
true, I don't know the first thing about the guy--he got my camera back and
gave me a press pass at the Ritz in NYC during the Imaginos tour, after I'd
taken the train down from Boston after seeing them up there a few days
previously.

I think that a lot of times the bands that get most antsy about amateur
recordings are the ones that have the most to hide about the quality of their
live shows.  When I think of bands notorious for fucking with tapers I think
of Zeppelin and G'n'R.