HW: Levitation cover

Bryan Young blyoung at HOTMAIL.COM
Sat Apr 12 22:28:57 EDT 1997

Okay, just another Bryan here with some info on Amorphis....

I listen to a lot of death metal, grindcore, and doom.  (Not as
much these days, but still enjoy the good stuff).  To a trained
ear, Amorphis aren't death metal.  If you only listened to
Napalm Death once or twice, you would think they are similar.

Amorphis bases their songs on finnish folk myths, from what
I've been told.  I have a CD by them, but I don't know what the
lyrics are supposed to mean.

There is a LOT of melody in the music.  Much different than
Cannibal Corpse in that respect.  The singing is "growled", but
the whole product is much more appealing cerebrally than most
of the death metal around.

If I had to classify the music, I would call it melodic doom
grind.  How's that for a description?

Bryan Young

(If you count the song "Motorhead" as a Hawkwind song, then
a lot more metal bands than you might think have covered HW
music.)

>Bryan says...
>
>> Brian,
>>
>>As far as i can recall "Amorphis" is a death metal band real grind-core
>>like, much like Goreguts and Asphyxia, but somewhat like the vocal style of
>>Cannibal Corpse.
>>
>>(this really isn't a joke.)
>
>Wow.  I can't even imagine this!  I guess there would be no spacy sounds, a
>reworked guitar solo (not as ambient), and who knows what they'll do with
>"It's called Leviatation Levitation Levitation!!!"  Then again, maybe they'll
>decide not to change it at all...  weird.
>
>Thanks for the info, Bryan.
>Brian

              Bryan Young
           blyoung at hotmail.com