Buck Dharma Solo Concert in Atlanta

squinn squinn at PALMNET.NET
Mon Apr 14 07:19:01 EDT 1997

I’m sitting here in a friend’s apartment in Atlanta the weekend of one
of the best BOCish Buck Dharma concert weekends  I’ve had since becoming
a BOC fan in ’83.  I flew up from Florida to Atlanta to see the Ricky
Browning Buck Dharma benefit concert.  It was performed at the Gwinnet
County Civic Center about 25 miles NW of Atlanta.  The turn-out for the
concert was moderate.  None the less - all the objectives for the show
were met.  Word got out about Ricky’s insurance problems as a result of
the media attention surrounding the concert and  are now being
corrected.  A blast was had by all including Ricky who sat in on drums
for Godzilla.  I must commend Chuck Saden for the fantastic job he did
organizing the event - everything seemed to go very smoothly - including
the pre/post concert events.

Buck’s band consisted of himself, Danny Maranda, John Miceli (of Rainbow
fame and some other bands) and Sandy Roeser on backup vocals.  Sandy
told me that this was the first time she performed with Buck on-stage
ever.  Buck started the show solo with two covers on acoustic guitar -
‘Black Bird’ and ‘In my Life’.   The remainder of the show was electric:

Astronomy
Live for Me
Deadline (AWESOME !)
Burning for You
Before the Kiss
Shooting Shark
Buck’s Boogie
Real World (another new one from the Zeke’s wheel - sounded great)
Wind, Weather and Storm  (I believe Sandy joined in at this point)
In Thee
Born to Rock
5:35
Reaper
Godzilla

Encore:
I Fought the Law
Harvest Moon

The acoustics were excellent.  The show was video taped and will be
available for sale.  All proceeds will go to the Ricky Browning Fund.

On-liners came from all over the country - Chicago, Phoenix, Seattle,
LA, Raleigh NC, Orlando, Indiana, and NY - including Bolle and Melne.  A
benefit dinner with Sandy and Buck was held Thursday night.
Unfortunately, I could not attend.  I heard everyone had a good-time.
Following the concert, Chuck invited the on-liners to his house for a
party - very well catered and well stocked with all kinds of  drinks.
It was a blast !  Buck and Sandy even came and seemed to have a great
time.  I did not go to bed until 6:00 AM - haven’t done that since
college.

Now if all that was not enough

Saturday night Chuck and a DJ from a local radio station arranged to
have Buck Dharma Band perform at the Dixie Tavern in Buckhead (yes -
that’s a real section of town in Atlanta and is party center of the city
-bars, clubs, restaurants everywhere).  As is typical on Friday or
Saturday night,  Buckhead was crowded with people.  Anyway - I figured
the band  would play a couple of tunes with a local band – not be.  They
played a complete set  !!!  The song list was the same (not the order)
minus the acoustic numbers and the addition of Cities on Flame.  It was
great !!!  The crowd in the club really got into it - within minutes
after the band starting playing, the place became packed wall to wall
with people.  Interestingly, the band played with their back against a
set of windows that faced the street.  With Buck jamming, a crowd of
people gathered outside the window.  During the Reaper - Buck walked
outside with Guitar in hand and played outside for a few minutes and got
up ledge a played to the fans in the club through the windows.  It was
clear Buck was having as great a time.  The concert started at around
11:30 PM and ended at around 2:00 AM Sunday Morning - my birthday -
couldn’t have asked for a better gift !!!

Needless to say, I’m still flying high on this experience.  It was great
meeting so many dedicated Buck Dharma/BOC fans.

Hope I didn’t ramble too much.

Shawn