HW: Sonic Attack Cloth Bag

J Strobridge eset08 at TATTOO.ED.AC.UK
Sun Apr 13 16:56:07 EDT 1997

Jon Browne writes:

> Crumbs! I kind of got the impression from the story that you got it for
> a song (as opposed to a spoken word piece over an instrumental!)

come on!  I reckoned I was lucky even to *see* the thing for sale never
mind have the chance to buy it!   And yes, I am a Kollector, I collect
everything that stays still long enough to be stored somewhere  - and
if I decide to Kollect something seriously then I make damn sure that my
collection is (a) as complete as possible and (b) that it's composed of
things that are as original as possible.  So when an original Sonic
Attack with cloth bag comes up for sale reasonably authenticated (I
believed the history she told me at any rate) and the price is not
wildly silly (yes, I would probably have balked at paying anything
much over 100, since I knew that was the going rate) then I'm going to
collect it.   Please also bear in mind that I do NOT have a husband or
13 kids to support, that I have been earning a regular salary for quite
a considerable number of years now and that collecting Hawkwind records
is probably one of my few major personal expenditures (no car or
motorbike and I don't spend much on clothes) just now so it's something
I am prepared to spend money on.

> Guide Price still is 100+ though, isn't it? I wonder how many change
> hands these days, to establish a price. I've never even seen one.
> As much as I want one of *everything*, I think I'd balk at that. (I can
> say that now, but if I saw one.....!)
> Just out of interest, who out there would pay 100UKP for this rarest of
> all HW singles, given a once-only opportunity?

That's not entirely a fair question since I expect most other people
have other things they would rather do with 100 quid - or even *need*
to do.  As I happened, yes, I could have used the 100 quid for
something else but I preferred to use it to collect something I
considered rare, valuable, unique, important and very special.   And
whereas some folk will spend 100 odd quid road taxing their car or
buying a dress or books or holding a wild party, I bought a item of
great rarity.   No apologies.

jill

J.D.Strobridge at ed.ac.uk                         eset08 at tattoo.ed.ac.uk
                                                ELIJSA at srv0.arts.ed.ac.uk