HW: Tubilah Dog (was) Underground Zero Again

J Strobridge eset08 at TATTOO.ED.AC.UK
Tue Apr 15 22:41:48 EDT 1997

I'm sure I read something about Underground Zero the other day - it
turns out they've released several albums - but I can't find it again
now  8-(

Anyhow I did unearth something about Tubilah Dog so here's a review
printed in Crohinga Well not all that long ago:

"Tubilah Dog is a name we've known since the 'Travellers Aid Trust'
double compilation/benefit LP of 1988 (two contributions).   Steve
Mills founded the band in 1985 and kept it on the road for six years,
constantly gigging at festivals, on many occasions with Hawkwind.
Steve wrote and recorded "In Search of Plaice" over a period of two
years, together with Dave Claridge.   Other band members are Chris Beach
(guitarist), Mat Ryder (bass) and Alf Hardy (keyboards).   The album
opens with the militant "Watching (while the revolution dies)", nice
psychedelic folk rock like Moondragon with great stoned vocal samples.
"Inside the Circle" tells about UFOs and crop circles in a piece of
serenely floating folk with wierd alien voices.  "Wyrd Romance" is
totally warped and freaked-out psych rock with Sundial guitars burning.
 "Flowers in the Forest" is - like the title implies - a gentle folk
instrumental.   "Flat Broke + Busted" brings back the social edge,
accompanied by spacy guitars and keyboards.  "Friends" is wild
guitar-driven psych rock with intense vocals.  "Domitius" features
superb psych with totally stoned-out-of-this-world vocals and keys and
"OWV" concludes the album with Omnia Opera-styled space rock.   "In
Search of Plaice" is one of the better new British psych albums with its
combination of festival rock and stoned folk vibes, like a cross between
Thunderdogs and Flyte Reaction and therefore very recommended.   And the
good news is that Beard of Stars Records released this album as a CD
*and* as a limited vinyl LP (in a real beautiful gatefold sleeve +
poster)."

Tubilah Dog "In Search of Plaice" (Beard of Stars Records / BOS 04)

So there y'are!    Good hunting.

jill

obfilm: The People vs Larry Flint
J.D.Strobridge at ed.ac.uk                         eset08 at tattoo.ed.ac.uk