HW: Dave Brock

J Strobridge eset08 at TATTOO.ED.AC.UK
Thu Apr 17 10:18:43 EDT 1997

corwin writes:

> I tried to find any information on Dave Brock biography but didn't find
> anything. So anyone knows his biograohy: when and where he was born,
> what he did before he started palying guitar and before Hawkwind?
>                                                             Corwin

Brian Tawn's got an article in Record Collector and there's one in the
Crohinga Well mag.   Can't remember off hand where he was born but he
spent most of his formative (musical) years playing Blues in bands
around Germany and Holland on a kind of errrm 'free-floating' basis.
Played the banjo (I think) as well as guitar but tended to improvise his
instruments - putting extra strings on and such like.     He did a lot
of gigging around London about the time of Eric Clapton and the
Yardbirds and a fair amount of busking too.    'Bring It On Home',
'Dealing With The Devil' are from that period.     The Dharma Blues band
is the main band usually mentioned but there's nothing recorded by them
while Brock was with them.

There was also Tent 67 with Nik Turner and others somewhere over in
Holland and then later Group X and finally Hawkwind Zoo.

I think that's right (from memory) but E&OE - just in case!

jill

J.D.Strobridge at ed.ac.uk                         eset08 at tattoo.ed.ac.uk
                                                ELIJSA at srv0.arts.ed.ac.uk