OFF: King Crimson's Epitaph

Guido Vacano gvacano at BEAVER.MBB.WESLEYAN.EDU
Thu Apr 17 20:14:57 EDT 1997

Steve Tice says--

> << BLASPHEMY!!!! :-)
>
>  The Great Deceiver, according to some people, is one of the best live sets
>  ever put out by any band.  I almost agree, but there're just too many
>  versions of "Easy Money" and "Talking Drum".
>
>  Whatever,
>  Damon
>   >>

> Oops, you misunderstand.  I'm referring not to The Great Deceiver (which is
> terrific and has AMAZING sound quality), but to the live disc that was one of
> four in a four-disc collection released prior to Deceiver (sorry, I've
> forgotten the name of it!).

It's Frame by Frame.

> The first three discs were previously released
> material, while the fourth had life stuff from different eras, include three
> songs from 1969.  Those three from '69 had TERRIBLE sound quality, so I'm
> suspicious of a new collection of nothing BUT stuff from that era...though,
> for all I know, there have been amazing advances in sound technology in the
> past couple of years which would remedy that problem.

Your point is well taken. The 1969 tracks constitute King Crimson's Yuri
Gagarin (though come to think of it, the quality is not THAT bad :-) ).
Of course, it's worth listening to the whole CD to hear "Asbury Park".
The other tracks are quite listenable too (see what a career in science
does to your grammar? :-) ).

> Y'know, I sort of like all of those different versions of Easy Money on
> Deceiver, because they're all so different...what an amazing live band they
> were circa '73.

My favorite is the fourth CD. To quote Jeff Beck, "Full Shred . . . Balls
Deluxe!"

Guido

--
If nothing is done, then all will be well.  -- Lao Tse