HW:A Few Topics

Jon Browne jon at COMICS.DEMON.CO.UK
Fri Apr 18 04:45:41 EDT 1997

In message <2.2.16.19970417214255.3edf0ab6 at mail.got.net>, Jeff Riedle
<stretch at GOT.NET> writes
>3 Topics to discuss/question: (no, I didn't research these to death, I'd
>rather have someone knowledgable just tell me! Jill Strobridge, are you
>there?!!)
>
>(1) I picked up a cd compilation called "Live & Rare-Onward Flies The Bird"
>on the Emporio label; it's a combo of live and studio trax, is there
>anything here I haven't seen before or is it yet ANOTHER get-it-out-quick
>compilation? It's great and only cost $9 US new.
Nope. Nothing new. Mike says there's a new bit of talking on Douglas In
The Jungle, but this is not confirmed (and I expect was tounge-in-cheek
when reported!) HW's management described this disc as "the latest abuse
of HW's material" It's not approved by the band and they recieve no
royalties from it. On the other hand, it is cheap.  Actually, Emporio
aren't complete rotters and some of their lo-price CD's are really
terrific value. Dub-Chill Out gets a lot of play round here and was only
3.49 UKP (if you like Scientist, King Tubby, Lee "Scratch" Perry, it's a
bargain) They starting to do comprehensive sleeve notes too, which is
always welcome and most often absent from budget releases.

>(2) I found a Various Artists cd called "Assassins Of Silence/100 Watt
>Violence" that's dated 1995 on Ceres Records; it's 15 cover versions by
>bands from all over; pretty interesting and diverse; is this just the cd
>version of the vinyl release? How long has the cd been out, since I don't
>remember any discussion of it?
It's been discussed a few times. I haven't got a copy :(((((( If I
remember correctly the vinyl release has a couple of extra tracks. It's
been out a year or more. Can anyone snag a copy for me? pretty please?

>(3) In case you didn't know, the cd release of "California Brainstorm" is
>only an edited version of the concert; I was there and have cassette tapes
>of the entire show; missing from the cd are nice versions of 'Realms',
>'Angels Of Death', 'Wings' and 'Images' as well as some between-song banter;
>I don't expect the whole show to fit on one disc but "California Brainstorm"
>clocks in at 68:11 and we know that cd's hold about 78 minutes...sure would
>have been decent to include another 10 minutes or so of the concert!! Plus,
>since this is supposed to be a live recording, how come the songs fade
>in/out on the cd, whereas live they often went from one to the other? What's
>up with that??
Most HW live Cd's are tweaked in the studio by Brock. But only a bit. :)
BTW "Images" is on my CD (Cyclops CYCL-021)

>I'm here in the USA (in California) if anybody needs a reference point.

I'm in Richmond/Twickenham, suburb of London, about 3 miles from Simon
and about 5 from Andy G. I'm holed up in my windowless office with the
heater on, Electric Tepee in the player and THAT'S THE WAY I LIKE IT!

--
Jon Browne
ObCD - Dope On Plastic Vol.4