HW:A Few Topics

J Strobridge eset08 at TATTOO.ED.AC.UK
Fri Apr 18 12:53:20 EDT 1997

Jeff Riedle writes:

> 3 Topics to discuss/question: (no, I didn't research these to death, I'd
> rather have someone knowledgable just tell me! Jill Strobridge, are you
> there?!!)

you called?   8-)

Bet there's someone else who gets you these answers first tho'!

> (1) I picked up a cd compilation called "Live & Rare-Onward Flies The Bird"
> on the Emporio label; it's a combo of live and studio trax, is there
> anything here I haven't seen before or is it yet ANOTHER get-it-out-quick
> compilation? It's great and only cost $9 US new.

I'm not quite sure how it works but there seems to be a whole load of
compilation issues that have been produced on CD but for which Hawkwind
gets no royalties.    This is one of them.    Trackwise it's not a bad
combination and if you don't have much Hawkwind stuff at all then it's a
good intro to the middle space grungerock period (dare I call it this?)
of the band.    However every single track has been copied intact from
the Anthology/Acid Daze issues and the only difference is a slight
"cleaning up" of the sound quality.   So if you already have Acid Daze
issues then don't bother with this one.

> (2) I found a Various Artists cd called "Assassins Of Silence/100 Watt
> Violence" that's dated 1995 on Ceres Records; it's 15 cover versions by
> bands from all over; pretty interesting and diverse; is this just the cd
> version of the vinyl release? How long has the cd been out, since I don't
> remember any discussion of it?

it got a mention about 3 or 4 months ago - I remember it going through.
I've got the vinyl but not the CD

> (3) In case you didn't know, the cd release of "California Brainstorm" is
> only an edited version of the concert; I was there and have cassette tapes

yes, there's no Bridget Wishart on it!

> of the entire show; missing from the cd are nice versions of 'Realms',
> 'Angels Of Death', 'Wings' and 'Images' as well as some between-song banter;
> I don't expect the whole show to fit on one disc but "California Brainstorm"
> clocks in at 68:11 and we know that cd's hold about 78 minutes...sure would
> have been decent to include another 10 minutes or so of the concert!! Plus,
> since this is supposed to be a live recording, how come the songs fade
> in/out on the cd, whereas live they often went from one to the other? What's
> up with that??

Dunno - however the CD was a legit issue of a live gig (i.e. made by a local
label but with the permission of the band) and I know they ran into problems
'cos its production was very delayed.   At a guess they had to do some
extensive editing since there is a period of prolonged audience laughter
in the middle of one of the tracks which (according to those who were
there) didn't happen at the real gig at all!   It seems to have been
pasted in from another occasion.

cheers

jill

J.D.Strobridge at ed.ac.uk                         eset08 at tattoo.ed.ac.uk