HW:A Few Topics

Paul Mather paul at CSGRAD.CS.VT.EDU
Fri Apr 18 12:35:44 EDT 1997

On Fri, 18 Apr 1997, J Strobridge wrote:

[[About _Assassins of Silence/Hundred-Watt Violence_]]
> it got a mention about 3 or 4 months ago - I remember it going through.
> I've got the vinyl but not the CD

I posted about this in March, and there was quite a bit of followup
discussion viz CD vs. LP versions.  Check out the BOC-L archives
("http://listserv.spc.edu/archives/boc-l.html"; March 1997, week 1) for
further details.

> > I don't expect the whole show to fit on one disc but "California Brainstorm"
> > clocks in at 68:11 and we know that cd's hold about 78 minutes...sure would
> > have been decent to include another 10 minutes or so of the concert!! Plus,
> > since this is supposed to be a live recording, how come the songs fade
> > in/out on the cd, whereas live they often went from one to the other? What's
> > up with that??
>
> Dunno - however the CD was a legit issue of a live gig (i.e. made by a local
> label but with the permission of the band) and I know they ran into problems
> 'cos its production was very delayed.   At a guess they had to do some
> extensive editing since there is a period of prolonged audience laughter
> in the middle of one of the tracks which (according to those who were
> there) didn't happen at the real gig at all!   It seems to have been
> pasted in from another occasion.

Wasn't it established that this wasn't audience laughter, but was in fact
a pre-recorded tape sequence from "Out of the Shadows."  If you listen to
the studio version, there is an "audience laughter" soundbite on there
too; I think the one played at the gig (and recorded on the CD) is the
same one.

Cheers,

Paul.

obCheese: 101 Strings, _Astro Sounds From Beyond The Year 2000_

e-mail: paul at csgrad.cs.vt.edu                    A stranger in a strange land.