BOC-Brushing That Hair

BREVARD Adrian R. abrevard at SHL.COM
Fri Apr 18 16:29:42 EDT 1997

ME >Bottom Line: Who knows how BOC's career would have turned out had
they >approached it differently.  I imagine at times that had they stuck
with the beginning and matured from there they would have sounded like a
>mix of Black Sabbath and Pink Floyd.  One can only wonder in the long run.
>
AA>I'll agree with most of that, except to add that it seemed like the
>first three albums were as forced a style as any of the rest, trying to fit
>the image of being Columbia's Black Sabbath.  In part AOF seemed to be that
>stopping, and probably a lot also those darn 4-track thingamajigs that meant
>they could all go out and write songs on their own instead of together....

and..

Theo>Wasn't the approach taken on the first 3 records more a path chosen
>by Pearlman/Krugman?  Seems like that's how Al has said it was.  Of course
>Columbia would have loved BOC to emulate Sab, at least at first, but after
>AOF, BOC far surpassed Sab's commercial appeal.

Makes sense to me.  It dosen't paint a pretty picture however.  When you
look at who wrote what its true that beginning with AOF the band did
more song writing and Pearlman less.  But the boys did plenty of writing
on those first three too.  Perhaps had they stayed the general course
Pearlman laid out they'd sound much different than the later half of the
discography. Put Marshal Plan, Let Go, White Flags, Make Rock Not War,
Debbie Denise and few others on the same disc, a cover photo showing
everyone in three foot tall hairdo's and what do you have?  I think you
can guess. We'll never know but do you think at the mid to end of their
album careers these guys contemplated wearing spandex and perming their
hair?  At a minimum you'd have to say they would have made one mediocre
hair band.  8>)

Obcd:  Gov't Mule  - Live at The Roseland Ballroom

>L8er
>
>lil' ab
>
>"Some people fly...and some of us worry.  I'd risk it all to have wings.  I
>know if I try I'll get where I'm going, keeping my eyes on the sky."

No hairband nomination today, but since Torgo has emerged from the
shadows, I'd like to know what blend of coffee you been drinking lately?