HW:A Few Topics re:

Jon Browne jon at COMICS.DEMON.CO.UK
Tue Apr 22 07:41:33 EDT 1997

In message <19970421231319340.AAA147 at hawk2>, Ron Jennings
<sprawl at STARLINX.COM> writes
>> If you unwittingly buy a stolen car, you lose the car, but you haven't
>> broken the law.
>
>maybe in your country,but since its impossible to "unwittingly" buy a
>stolen car in the US,
>one can expect to do some time. (titles, notaries,id, etc.)
>recieving stolen property is a felony, i believe, and "i dint know" will
>not save you.

mmm, naturally "recieving" is a crime here too, but I saw this
documentary on car theft recently and the poor woman who was pulled over
and had her newly-bought car impounded received nothing but sympathy
from the cops. She was quite clearly the victim in this case, losing
thousands. Still, getting a bit far from the subject....

>> Few fans are going to get suckered by this. Only people who've never
>> bought anything before and want to check the band out by only spending a
>> coupla bucks.
>
>i disagree. the band is currently digging up and restoring the carcasses of
>long thought dead tunes, and someone who is not a rabid collector or tour
>hound would not know. they would never convince me that it wasn't a
>deliberate sleaze. if i hadn't heard the warning, and saw this
>on the shelves in a cd store, i probably wouldn't have thought about it
>long. IF i noticed the track
>list, i would have wondered why i hadn't heard about them playing these
>sets, but wouldn't have worried much about it till i got home, played it,
>and ate it.
I would suspect anything with Douglas In The Jungle on it and I'm not
being flippant. And Hash Cake '77. I take your point, but really would
*you*, specifically *you* be taken in by this? I bet you'd take one look
at it and know *exactly* what these tracks were.

>>That's actually what pisses me off about this, the fact
>> that new listeners get the wrong impression of the band and don't go on
>> to buy the next 78 albums. <g>
>
>i agree whole-heartedly. and if you ask me, thats what should concern the
>band and mngmnt
>more than money issues.

I'd like to think it is.

>probably not, but they most likely can and SHOULD be forced to change the
>packaging
>to say that its all previously released material, the dates, and get the
>alien's (ron's)
>image off of it.

Absolutely.

>you may be right. they probably got a small town's population worth of
>lawyers in-house,
>so as to avoid that. i dont know nearly enuff about the law to even guess.
>besides, whose laws
>apply? this is international isn't it? britain's law, us law, or
>interpol???
As far as I know, It's a UK release that's available over there as an
import. That's another reason I don't think any laws been broken, it's
in every damn record shop in England!   If it is or was an illegal
product, UK law would apply. Having said that. aren't copyright laws
applicable internationally under the Berne convention?

>my peeve is mainly this: you shouldn't have to issue a disclaimer when
>turning a friend on to yer favorite band!

Quite.

--
Jon Browne
ObCD - Still this new Supergrass album - it's brilliant!