BOC Buck, Capt Solo?

BREVARD Adrian R. abrevard at SHL.COM
Tue Apr 22 10:13:56 EDT 1997

>>Definitely would not get Champions Of Rock.
>
>JS>"This CD is quite a puzzle to me - I don't know if it's a blatant rip-off,
outright stupidity, or a combination of both. "

There are other Champions of Rock Compilations for various groups  I
imagine someone just purchased a license to the recording and changed
the packaging.  I'm trying to recall one of the others I saw but it
>looked just like the BOC one, cheezy picture of the band in question.

Theo>"Anybody else notice that the BD band show in GA was such a
>success? Handwriting on the wall maybe? {snips} Maybe time to cut is losses
and go for it alone.  Then he wouldn't have the quandry over heavy
BOC-type material vs. BD material.  Thoughts?"

Originally I thought this would be a great idea for Buck, to go it
alone, to play his music.  I think an example exists for what he faces
should he decide to do so.  Rik Emmett, fomerly of Triumph.  Like Buck a
master with the axe; a guy who could write, sing and play.  Triumph
never got huge like Rush but they had a pretty faithful following.
Like Buck and BOC, Rik could write songs that fit the whole group or his
personality.  Not hard to tell a Rik song from the the rest of the
album.  Rik has been solo for a few years and even has three or four
solo albums out.  Some of the songs have the distinctive Triumph sound
to them others are all his.

Thus far Rik has Headed For Nowhere (to borrow from a Triumph song).
He's done some gigs and been a part of some of the geezer fests but he
certainly has not gotten any bigger than Triumph ever was.   Buck has as
much talent as Rik and still has the skills to play.  He, like Rik
though, may have waited too long to do this.  Most Rik fans are Triumph
fans and I cannot imagine it being much different for Buck.  You
certainly don't want a career where you're known as the "former lead
guitarist of BOC." Maybe early on after Specters had Buck gone his own
way then he might have had a better chance.  Rik certainly waited too
long with Triumph.  Maybe they could play together ala Tommy Shaw and
Ted Nugent with Damn Yankees.  Combined, the fan base would be bigger
than each alone.

>JS>"Then again, the Grateful Dead's members all use to do solo tours and the
like without the band itself breaking up."

That would be pretty demanding on Buck unless the rest of the band
decided to take a break.  He could be playing four to five nights a
>week.
>
>JD"It may be inevitable to draw some comparisons from the discussion of
>whether Buck is or should contemplate such matters with Albert's
forming the Brain Surgeons - but remember (as Albert pointed out):"

All valid points.  Bet when tBS first started playing clubs advertised
it as Al Bouchard, (fomer member of BOC) & the Brain Surgeons.  After a
while maybe Al Bouchard and the Brain Surgeons.  Now simply tBS.  Might
be the hardest part about going solo, cutting the ties to your former
>bands name.

>Teri>"Well as much as I love the Buck solo stuff, and dig the work Buck has
>done with/for BOC....and his fine songwriting. I wouldn't trade a solo Buck
over a BOC. "

More people probably feel this way than the other.  More than likely
whats holding Buck back the most is the thought that if he did go solo,
realistically there is no room for BOC, thus no more BOC.  Anybody think
Buck could be replaced in BOC and still consider it BOC?  Technically,
they could find a guitarist to play the parts but it would never, ever