BOC: Me.262s (Was - Re: Buck Benefit / BOC fanatic chec

Craig Shipley craigs at PYRAMID.COM
Tue Apr 22 21:32:05 EDT 1997

----------
From:   Ted Jackson jr. EL84[SMTP:tojackso at LIBRARY.SYR.EDU]
Sent:   Tuesday, April 22, 1997 4:48 PM
To:     Multiple recipients of list BOC-L
Subject:        Re: BOC: Me.262s (Was - Re: Buck Benefit / BOC fanatic chec

> > As far as the statement about the "great/gray silver slugs in my snout" as
> previously pointed out,
> > the 262 had anywhere from two to six 20mm (MK 108) cannon in the nose, while
> most of the Luftwaffe fighters

I could've sworn they used 30MM cannon [which would've fired even
slower]...

There was a high speed 30MM developed for the six-gunned nose, FWIW.

There

> > used 7.9 mm machine guns (the 20mm's had a slow rate-of-fire compared to the
> 7.9's. Fine when
> >  you are busting bombers, but not so hot in a dogfight). There was a variant
> that had two 20MM and four 30MM

oops, sorry!

> > (don't think this version ever went into production). There was even a
> version that had a 50MM cannon
> > (two foot long projectile!) that was used for busting tanks.
>
>         Way I read it, that one was a bomber-destroyer, and couldn't be
> used because the muzzle flash blinded the pilot - bad when flying straight
> into a bomber formation...
Correct, I checked up on this and it was a bomber-buster, not a tank-buster. The idea was to blast the bombers from long range. Only two were built. The night fighter versions were a bitch to fly, due to the muzzle flash directly in front of you...

Remember that Wolf was convinced the best way to utilize the 262 [at
first, anyway] was as a fighter bomber.  The 262 was operational at
the end of '42, I believe, but not employed as a bomber destroyer
until the war was essentially over for the Blitzkriek boys...
theo

It was good ol' stupid Adolf that decreed that that the 262 be employed as a fighter-bomber. Her Messerschmidt tried to convince him that this was a fighter, but ol 'Doof, err, 'Dolf wouldn't be swayed. And no-one argued with the ol' Fuhrer if you wanted to live a while longer...

First operational sortie by the 262, July 18 1944. Not 1942, if it had been in operation at that time, we'd probably all be speaking Deutch...

Enough of all this...

Craig Shipley
craigs at pyramid.com