OFF: Kaleidoscope Eyes

Max Wilcox s333271 at STUDENT.UQ.EDU.AU
Fri Apr 25 11:52:49 EDT 1997

Hello to everyone again,

        Let me recommend to all of you out there of a good book that I picked
up yesterday.
        It's called "kaleidoscope Eyes: Psychedelic Music from the 1960s to the
1990s", and it's by Jim Derogatis. It's quite a good read, dealing
fairly quickly with most "psychedelic" bands, and others that I wouldn't
call psychedelic.
        There's a several page section on Hawkwind, which classes it as part
heavy metal (something I wouldn't agree with) with a few bits of
information that are fairly common knowledge. He mentions BOC, only in
passing, with a Don't Fear the Reaper comment.
        It has at least several pages on all of the major bands, and whole
chapters on a couple, actually, only one that I can think of: Pink
Floyd. Quite a good introduction to those I'm not familiar with, though.
        It's influenced me to go out and check out several other bands that it
talks about, so can't be all that bad.
        This brings me to another question: are there any books about Hawkwind
that are available at the moment (discounting the Griffin box set one,
as that doesn't sound like a possibility). What are the various books
like? What are they about?
        Anyway, there you have it.
        If I have offended, think but this, and all shall be mended, blah,
blah, etc., etc....

This was brought to you by the Max Wilcox TV Workshop.
        "Never ever, bloody anything, ever."
                Or, more precisely...
        "Matter? Where's it coming from?"