HW: Yuri

Andrew Gilham Andy_Gilham at MSN.COM
Sun Apr 27 16:29:08 EDT 1997

>_Bring Me the Head of Yuri Gagarin_ +
>
>  it's the *original* release.
>  it is recorded from *one* show
>  it was released at a time when the common hawkfan hadn't heard so much
>   of the early 70:ies on vinyl yet.

Well, I bought it on the initial vinyl release.  I think I may have played it
all the way through once.  I can't believe anyone can seriously defend it, on
any grounds, really.

>1) what do you think of _Text of Festival_,
>   another *original* release in similar situation as _Yuri Gagarin_?

Well even _Yuri_ wasn't as disillusioning as getting _In the Beginning_ and
finding (when I got it home) that I already had it.  That was a really cynical
move on someone's part, and that's when I stopped buying "unofficial" HW
items.  Such as:

>2) what do you think of compilations like _Live 70/73_, _Welcome to the
Future_
>   and Early Daze, where nothing new is brought to you?
>   A better buy than _Yuri Gagarin_..? More inspiring to listen to..?

Well, my viewpoint is that they're obviously a waste of money (unless you're
into collecting, I guess).  (I always thought _Ridicule_ was called that,
because someone was taking the piss :)

>3) if you had been on a hawkshow in London at the very day of 1973.05.27,
>   wouldn't you like to have [parts of] that show in vinyl or cd format,
>   no matter how the cover looked like, or how the sound quality was?

Well... I've been to a lot of fine gigs in my time, by lots of bands, and I
treasure the memories of them, but I don't feel any desire to "possess" them
by having a recording of them.  You can never go back.

- Andy

Andy Gilham/Andy_Gilham at msn.com/Andy_Gilham at compuserve.com
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Andy_Gilham