HW: No news for some time

Bryan Young blyoung at HOTMAIL.COM
Wed Apr 30 23:25:21 EDT 1997

>WE (the fans) call it Nikwind. Nik began calling his band "Nik Turner's
>HW,"
>but changed it back to Nik Turner, or "Nik Turner's Space Ritual," after
>seeing the
>controversy that arose.  I believe some promoters and/or venues continued
>to bill it as NT's HW.

Okay, thanks.  I live in Canada, though, so I will never get
the chance to see them live.  What do they have on CD so far?

>They play the classic material, plus tunes from some of the members' own
>bands.
>Even tho there is not much new material, no one can say that it is not a
>terrific show.
>Advice- if you get the chance, see them. Take it for what its worth, and
>you will enjoy yourself.

Yeah, I think it would be fun.  I would like to see them, but I
would choose Hawkwind if they were in competing venues.

>                   Suffice it to say that Nik has made up with Doug
>Smith.  Doug Manages both
>bands now, so there may be dual gigs regardless of anyone's personal
>feelings.  That's not to say that
>they haven't patched things up.  I heard that they had, then heard that
>they hadn't, then back and forth again, till I decided it wasn't my concern
>and just went back to waitng for a new album.

That's good news for you guys over there.  That sounds like a
great show - Hawkwind and Nik's crew.

>I've even heard a rumour (pronounced ROOM-ERR) that Ron Tree was going to
>play bass, and Nik was going to be the new front man for HW.    REPEAT:
>ROOM-ER!  <<I am ignoring it, and think you should too>>

I love Ron's voice.  How does he do the really freaky things with
his voice like that?  I have never heard anybody like that ever.
At first when I got Alien 4 I was kind of skeptical, but then when
I saw what Love in Space was like, I went back and really learned
to appreciate Alien 4.

Ron is one of my favorite HW vocalists now.  The only one I never
really got to enjoy was Bridgett.  Her voice just didn't seem right
to me.  (Black Elk Speaks is the best song with her, I think.)

New Question: Is there any website that identifies the lead
singer for each song?

I can recognize Bob's voice, and Dave's.  Ron's is easy to
distinguish, of course, as is Bridget's.

But what about Alan's songs?  And Harvey's?  And did Richard only
do the Rolling Stones cover song?  Who does the Coded Languages song
when it's done live on the Undisclosed Files CD?

Not having ever seen them live (except for my Black Sword video I
found in a pawn shop in Edmonton), I don't know who sings what on
some of the songs.

Thanks!

>rj
>
>Its no measure of health to be well-adjusted to
>a profoundly sick society.
>                    krishnamarti

              Bryan Young
           blyoung at hotmail.com