OFF: Jethro Tull

Marshall Wood mwood at SLICE.AGILE.COM
Fri Aug 1 08:39:43 EDT 1997

>>Stormwatch which is great, especially considered as the third
>>part of a trilogy (i.e. Songs from the Wood, Heavy Horses, Stormwatch)

It took many listens for me to really feel that SW was part of
this trilogy, despite people on the Tull mailing list insisting
it was so.  I guess I can hear the connection now, but SftW and
HH are much closer in sound.

>Huh?!? I've heard this before -that people don't like "Killing Wissie"...
>"Kissing Willie"... but I can't understand why not... I like it...

I think that serious Tull fans don't appreciate tunes that can't
be taken seriously.  That said, I don't really care for "KW".  My
friend who is a casual Tull fan loves that track, and is always
disappointed when they don't play it in concert.

>have you heard "Roots to Branches" (I
>Shit! If I just look at it, standing in my shelf next to "Catfish Rising" and
>"Nightcap" and that sort of things then I start to cry...
>I just can't find anything on that record that I like -where's the melodies?

Oh, come on - "Valley" is a great song, anyway!  That track
where Anderson just speaks the vocal part is pretty dire, though.

>-where's the riffs? -where's the new exciting inventive music???

I hear lots of Middle Eastern influences that I haven't heard in
Tull music before, especially in cuts like "Rare & Precious Chain."
What did you think of Anderson's solo CD, _Divinities_?  I enjoyed
it, but it didn't hold my attention for more than a few weeks.

>Maybe Ian is using the wrong hole when he's playing the flute on this one???

HA!  Sounds like his on-stage antics have gone too far!

MWood

NP:  _Space Ritual_ - Hawkwind