OFF: Fish 30/7/97 Toronto

Keith Henderson henderson.120 at OSU.EDU
Fri Aug 1 17:31:54 EDT 1997

Hi Folks...

Well, this is a bit off-topic, but at least one list member is interested in
Fish's new album, following a couple dodgy releases in recent years.  Plus,
this newest one (Sunsets on Empire) has a strong Porcupine Tree influence
(since Steve Wilson is producer, arranger, guitarist, keyboardist, and
cowriter of over half the songs).  And PTree isn't too far from the Hawkwind
tree.

Anyway, the new album is fine material, and is now available on both sides
of the pond.  He would've been selling them at the Toronto show, except that
they had sold out their stock much earlier in the tour.  I think that future
gigs will have them again.  A little like the T-Shirts during Spirit of the
Age '95.

On to the show...boy, was this a brilliant concert!  Fish is an
extraordinary performer, and he must've been in rare form this night.  The
show went an amazing 2 hrs. 20 min., and reached several 'climaxes' (no
jokes, please) that I surely thought were the end each time.  But they were
all premature.  The venue was a little strange, but nice. It obviously is a
dance/disco club most nights, with the mirror balls and insane overhead
flashing lights and spotlights, but most of this stuff was shut down for
this night.  The sound system, as you might imagine, was of very high
caliber-plenty loud enough, but with strong clarity so each 'voice' was
easily heard. The stage was a bit narrow but deep, and quite high such that
all the players were easily visible at all times.

The band -

Derek Dick - Vocals, insane commentary & crazy stories
J.J. Bell - Guitar (from Fr. Guiana, apparently)
Steve Mancis(?) - Bass
Mickey Simmonds - Keyboard
Dave 'Squeeky' Stewart - Drums

These guys are complete no-names to me, other than the fact that Simmonds
played on Vigil and Stewart appears on the new album.  Nothing about these
guys was particularly outstanding, although they were competant & played
well together despite obviously just being thrown together.  This show was
all about Fish, of course, and he held court in the finest of all fashions.
I knew he was a big guy, but I didn't realize how big...he must be something
like 6'5"/230 lbs. or something.  And he's got very little of what you would
call 'hair' left.  I would'nt have recognized him to be honest.

The set - (not exactly in order, I'm sure)

Johnny Punter (SoE)
Goldfish & Clowns (SoE)
Family Business (ViaWoM)
What Colour is God? (SoE)
Suits (?) (S)
Change of Heart (SoE)
Brother 52 (SoE)
Assassin part I (F)
Credo (IE)
Tongues (IE)
Assassin part II (F)
Fugazi (last part) (F)
Jungle Ride (SoE)
White Feather (MC)
Cliche (ViaWoM)
Lucky (IE)

Encore:
The Company (ViaWoM)
Worm in a Bottle (SoE)
Internal Exile (IE)

2nd Encore:
Lavender (MC)

A little disappointing that there weren't any tracks from my favourite
Marillion/Fish album, Clutching at Straws, but the selection was quite good
overall.  All the best songs from 'Sunsets' were played (including What
Colour is God?...the most PTree-like of the lot, and Jungle Ride, which is
very Sky Cries Mary-like), plus my four favourites from Internal Exile were
all performed.  White Feather was absolutely brilliant, and was the
highlight of the show.  I was amazed that this wasn't the finale of the
show, as the crowd became most energetic at this point.  (Toronto crowds are
always great, which is why I've seen Hawkwind there three times, as well as
Pink Floyd.)  Lavender was also a nice touch...and quite surprising.  I'm
guessing that he doesn't do that one in every city.  The only song I didn't
know was Suits (I guess) from the album of the same name.  It was an O.K.
song, but I've heard that the album isn't so hot, which is why I've never
shelled out the dough for this import.

The last two times I saw Marillion, the shows were ok, but nothing
special...the Season's End show I saw at the Phantasy Theatre (Cleveland)
was quite brilliant, though.  This one was at least as good, probabaly
better.  I'd definitely recommend seeing this man in action.  There's a few
weeks of US dates left...including Columbus (!), which I'll miss, since I
leave for Nepal/Tibet on Sunday for two months.  Check your local calenders.

Keith H. (FAA)

P.S.  See ya' in October....now how the hell do I go about (temporarily)
unsubcribing again?

P.P.S.  Y'all have fun now at the Labor Day Space Rock festival...I'll be
thinking about ya' while I'm up in the mountains.