HW: Wacky religious types vs. Hawkwind

DAMON CAPEHART monsieur at MYMAIL.NET
Sun Aug 3 02:12:29 EDT 1997

Heya...

  Preface:  I am a Christian - a (mostly) SANE Christian who is
  neither "lunatic" nor "devout to the point of embarrassing
  foolishness".  I am, however, writing something about a
  particular author who does fall into one or both of those
  categories; but he is by no means the norm.  It is funny,
  though.

A friend of mine seems to be under the impression that most of
the bands that I listen to are evil and satanic and therefore
the CDs ought to be either burned or broken or who knows what
else.  So I bought a few books - at Half Price Books, so no one
would get royalties - by so-called Christian authors who try to
show just how eeeeeevil so many bands supposedly are.

So I found the following entry from "THE god OF ROCK", by
Michael K. Haynes, published in 1982:

----- begin -----
HAWKWIND

Hawkwind was launched in the late 1960's in London.  In the
beginning it was a very loose "perform anywhere for anything"
kind of group.  Their antics gained them a freak following in
the Notting Hill area of London, and from there they became
England's most popular psychedelic band.

Of course, a couple of drug busts helped to cement their
followers who were attached to the philosophy and lifestyle of
the members of the group.  They were hailed as "the people's
band" and "the last of the true underground bands".

The group's members immersed themselves in science fiction,
keying on more spacey aspects of the last decade's music.  Their
specialty is the Space Ritual Road Show, complete with
psychedelic lighting, piercing decibel level, and the worship of
alien forces.

On the cover of the album recorded live in Liverpool Stadium
entitled "Space Ritual Live" [sic], there is a nude woman
standing before two panthers.  Her arms are outstretched before
the gods (all sorts) as a bow encircles her with the all-seeing
eye at the top.  Her head is covered with snakes and astro
signs... the group's message pictured.

>From the rapid personnel changes of Hawkwind, Motorhead was
formed.  Their lastest [sic] album projects their ultimate
desire...it is entitled "Masters of the Universe".

It's kind of funny how the guy doesn't even bother doing enough
research to figure out that this "lastest album" is a best-of
set that the band knew little about to begin with.  Oh well.

I may post the BOC entry a bit later.  It has a bit more
entertainment value.

Damon C Capehart