OFF: Prog Vote/Jethro Tull

Christian cannibal at CUTEY.COM
Mon Aug 4 06:48:13 EDT 1997

At 00:09 04.08.97 -0400, you wrote:

>I must admit that I'm surprised how many
>progressive rock fans are lurking here on the BOC mailing list...then again,
>Bolle Gregmar (head of the BOC fan club) shocked me on the phone one day by
>telling me that BOC wasn't his favorite band, either...he said, "Who is
>yours?"  I said, "Yes," and he said, "Ah, a man of good taste!"  So if even
>the head of the fan club likes prog music, there must be SOMETHING going on
>here...hmmm....
>
>By the way, I've yet to hear any Hawkwind, however...
>
>SET

It's probably a safe bet to say that among HW fans there are more prog fans
and BOC more metalheads, but both bands are original/weird enough to have a
large crossover appeal into all camps... If you are a metalhead looking to
sample Hawkwind, try Live Chronicles or Space Ritual. Proggers may want to
go for Hall Of The Mountain Grill, Warrior On The Edge Of Time, Levitation
or Electric Tepee. Punks go for PXR5 or California Brainstorm. But really I
can't say I can categorize any as either! It's just the closest to
conventional categories they come...

ah, my vote ...

Hawkwind/Warrior On The Edge of Time
Hawkwind/Quark, Strangeness & Charm
Gong/Angel's Egg

I voted for 2 HW albums just for the hell of it (and for the list!), I
would probably have switched Warrior for Van Der Graaf Generator/Godbluff
or Amon Duul II/Carnival In Babylon.... but oh well :)

On the subject of Jethro Tull, I'm surprised no one brought up Too Old To
Rock'n'Roll, Too Young To Die. That has to be my favorite of what I have
(not that many, but other than that, Broadsword & The Beast, Songs From The
Wood and M.U. The Best Of.... plus I have a partial dub of the 25 Years
set...).

I absolutely *love* TOTR'n'R/TYTD, and it's the sweetest little story of
any concept album... plus it's got a great Dave Gibbons cartoon! I also
like the fact that most of the music is fairly straightforward with an
emphasis on good, straight songwriting rather than longer "experimental"
stuff.... definetly in my top 5 of prog...

Christian

ObProgFromTheVault: Marillion _Fugazi_