OFF: Hey brits: Bob's Yer Uncle....

Andrew Gilham Andy.Gilham at BTINTERNET.COM
Mon Aug 4 06:04:24 EDT 1997

> I've always wondered what the excact meaning of this british expression
is!

"Right you are", "there you go", that sort of thing.  Brewer's says:  "That
will be all right, you needn't bother any more.  In use in the 1880s but of
unknown origin."  Not to be confused with "how's your father".  Ooh missus!

> I know this much: a Bob used to be a penny or something, and has come to
> mean a quid I believe...

A shilling, actually.  Really only survives in those Scottish beers, Ninety
Bob (90/-), etc.

>The british have the coolest slang!

Coolest *everything*, my boy! :)

- Andy