RIP WSB

Erin Marie Moore emm14 at COLUMBIA.EDU
Mon Aug 4 21:56:05 EDT 1997

On Sun, 3 Aug 1997, Max Wilcox wrote:

>         Well, all of the Beat generation have now passed on.
>         William Seward Burroughs passed on this today. He died in his sleep from a
> heart attack at 84.
>         His influence on western culture was very large, and was a fantastic
> writer.
>         William lived up to his motto: "We're all born to go".
>         Rest in peace.
>
> - Max Wilcox

     One of the best jobs I ever had was working at a bookstore. I can't
begin to explain the learning experience. The best day I ever had at work
was the day William Burroughs came to sign books. It was my duty to hand
him the books to be signed. He was on top of everything, he rembered
someone he had not seen in five or six years.
     We supplied him with Vodak and Coca Cola as that was what he chose to
drink. Half a bottle was left at the end and he was good enough to sign it
for me.
     He was truly a fantastic writer and an extraordinary person always
quick with a lyrical verse. I had hoped one day I'd get to see him at a
reading but I guess not this time around.

     Sorry to go on so long
     I remain

              Adam