ADMIN: An amusing/interesting note and my reply

William Duffy xl5 at IINET.NET.AU
Tue Aug 5 10:37:00 EDT 1997

Ben Cohen wrote:

> Usually, when someone chooses to unsubscribe from the list, they just
> drop
> off. One person chose to send me a message about why they were
> unsubscribing. Since I was in "one of those moods", I chose to
> response. As
> an amusement for everyone here, I include the original message
> (anonymized)
> and my response:
>
> >As moderator, I thought you might be interested in why I am
> >unsubscribing to the BOC-L today.  My husband and I are big BOC fans
> >and have seen them perform in excess of 50 times.  We listen to all
> their
> >albums.  I subscribed because I thought I'd get some current info on
> their
> >itinerary.  We are really interested in where and when they are
> playing.  It
> >took me two weeks of research to find out who and what HAWKWIND is.
> >From what I could find out, it appears they are a British band who is
> riding
> >the coat tails of BOC.  I am not interested in Hawkwind so I am
> >unsubscribing.  Even though I tried to confine my subscription to BOC
> >only, many of the numerous messages are about Hawkwind or other
> >groups.  Unfortunately, I don't have the time to weed through all
> that.  It is
> >too bad the real BOC fans couldn't stick to the subject.  I am only
> telling
> >you this as a courtesy and not trying to upset or anger anyone.  I
> would
> >appreciate it if you take my message the same way.  Good health to
> >you.....
>
> While I appreciate the comments, I'd like to make a couple of points
> about
> the list:
>
> 1) Hawkwind is most definitely _not_ a "British band who is riding the
> coat
> tails of BOC". They are merely another band that many of the
> subscribers
> also enjoy listening to and that tends to have a thematically similar
> musical content.

Obviously this person hasn't bothered to properly investigate Hawkwind.

Although I am primarily a HW fan, I can see no hassles in receiving news
on BOC, etc.. It usually only takes a moment to discover if you want to
read each e-mail (unless you receive 100's each day).

I can see nothing wrong in people talking about their other interests.

William