OFF: Hey brits: Bob's Yer Uncle....

Sonique sonique at MAIL.PCMICRO.COM.AU
Wed Aug 6 10:02:29 EDT 1997

On  5 Aug 97 at 15:57, Mark Edmonds wrote:

> <sonique at MAIL.PCMICRO.COM.AU> writes
> >Brits are colourful? What about us true blues?
> >
> >"Stone the Crows and Pickle me Grandmother - I found a freebie in my
> >glug! And don't forget never to bod chonks from a fruit ...."
> >
> >(Just my 2c worth o 'strine)
> >
> >Sonique
>
> Brilliant! LOL! What do you do for an encore?!

I think I've just about used up all the more colourful phrases I could think
of (besides all the ones which are also common in Britain)

> "Bob's Your Uncle" is an expression which sort of means nothing really
> and is a typical throw-away remark.

Same down under. It's most common use here is precede with "and" used in a
context of describing how to do something "and then it will work/your
finished/whatever". I know what I mean if no-one else does ....

> The idea behind it is that Bob is an extremely common name so anyone can
> have an uncle called Bob (so happens I haven't) therefore the value of
> telling someone that they have an uncle called Bob is zero.
>
> So, Bob's your uncle, there you have it!

"there you have it" is what I was looking for ...

> Now someone tell me what the fuck "Stone the Crows" is all about please!

It means anything you want it too .... ;^)

S.

--
Paul Ward        aka: Assassin Sonique'   .---.  __  .--------   Long
R & D Manager, P & C Micro's Pty Ltd     /     \( o`-,  -----   may