Moderator/Stale

BREVARD Adrian R. abrevard at SHL.COM
Thu Aug 7 09:36:03 EDT 1997

>As moderator, I thought you might be interested in why I am
>unsubscribing to the BOC-L today.  My husband and I are big BOC fans
>and have seen them perform in excess of 50 times.  We listen to all their
>albums.  I subscribed because I thought I'd get some current info on their
>itinerary.  We are really interested in where and when they are playing.  It
>took me two weeks of research to find out who and what HAWKWIND is.
>>From what I could find out, it appears they are a British band who is riding
>the coat tails of BOC.  I am not interested in Hawkwind so I am
>unsubscribing.  Even though I tried to confine my subscription to BOC
>only, many of the numerous messages are about Hawkwind or other
>groups.  Unfortunately, I don't have the time to weed through all that.  It
is
>too bad the real BOC fans couldn't stick to the subject.  I am only telling
>you this as a courtesy and not trying to upset or anger anyone.  I would
>appreciate it if you take my message the same way.  Good health to
>you.....

Sorry but my mail is all hosed up and I just saw this.  Amusing little
piece.  As I am prone to playing "Devil's Advocate" I can somewhat
sympathize with what these people are talking about.  Years ago when I
joined the list I had never, ever heard of Hawkwind.  To an outsider who
discovers this list by way of UBL or through a BOC WEBSITE the
expectation is that this is primarily a BOC list.  What a shock the HW
posts must be.  Still if newbies would approach HW with an open mind
they would find:

1. HW fans on this list are very helpful with explaining HW to newbies
2. HW is a band with a rich and interesting history
3. HW fans on this list have a great sense of humor
4. HW can just farkin' play

Maybe beyond the instructions of how to post, use of the filters etc.,
there should be a disclaimer regarding all of the bands.

"The primary content of this list covers Hawkwind, Blue Oyster Cult and
The Brain Surgeons.  Subscribers should be aware that there is little or
no connection between HW and BOC.  There is a direct connection between
the Brain Surgeons and BOC however there is no official affiliation.
Conversations are normally separate and unrelated.  With HW most
discussions are current, intelligent and far reaching as there are
several related groups, former members and tours which are not
considered off topic.  Brain Surgeon discussions are much the same,
current, factual information with the added attraction of having Al
Bouchard as a list member.  Mr. Bouchard is amenable to answering direct
questions when he has sufficient time to participate.

DISCLAIMER - For those of you seeking fanboy adulation, current progress
of new albums, and general current news for the band Blue Oyster Cult,
leave now, you've come to the wrong place.  While BOC conversations
fluctuate you will find list members will discuss the bands progress or
lack thereof honestly.  This is not a temple of worship, no band
discussed on this list is beyond criticism, questioning or flaming.  We
have two rules, no long term flaming of the band or list members and no
FANYBOYS or FANGIRLS."

--The Moderator

L8er

lil' ab

"When a nice clean brain tumbles to the dirty street to lie among the
discarded wrappers and spat out gum wads of wickedness, you can't just
pick it up and wash it off with soap and water; you gotta think it clean
from the inside out." - The Tick